Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Rewards of Turning 13

So, recently, I turned 13. I'm a teenager now, which gives me the power to play T rated games and watch PG-13 movies officially. Not that I didn't already. But, then, I thought to myself: what does turning 13 itself actually reward you with? I've compiled a list of 5 benefits, and I hope they don't disappoint. (WARNING: List compiled from own experiences, apologize in advance if anyone is offended.)

1. More respect from adults.

This one is pretty obvious. You definitely won't get as much respect as a 9 year old as a 13 year old. The downside to this is that respect also creates expectations, and, I don't know about you guys, but I HATE expectations! :(

2. The aforementioned ratings.

As I said before, you get the benefits of getting to play T rated games and PG-13 movies. It's more of a benefit for kids with strict parents than most others. (AKA, not me, haha.)

3. You don't have to lie about your age when you sign up for stuff anymore!

You know how when you join a message board, and then you need to make a Username and Password and stuff. Eventually, you have to enter a Date of Birth. For most kids, if you come across one of these, you have two choices. 1. Put in your real age, which, if you are under 13 years old, you will most likely not be allowed to join. 2. You can lie. (I do that all the time.) You don't have to feel guilty anymore when you sign up for stuff when you hit that big 13!

4. You begin to see the world as it really is.

Alright, hear me out on this. Remember back when you were much younger, back to when you thought all these naive thoughts about how everything was all sunshine and lollipops. As you grow older, these ideal utopias and good futures begin to melt away to distopian visions and gloom and destruction. When you get to that 13 mark, you begin to get to some middle-ground, where everything isn't dead, but not so happy anymore either. It doesn't actually suck as much as it sounds: It's actually nice to know that there is room for improvement.

5. Some of your silly fears melt away and you begin to see your life in a new light.

13 is about the age when you get the first feelings of nostalgia and getting to look back on yourself. The year after my first loose tooth fell out, I wouldn't have thought anything of it. 5 years after, I still didn't think anything of it. Now I'm starting to be able to fondly remember how it happened, and long for the time when stuff was a bit simpler. Oh well. Also, you start to loose your fears of stuff hiding in your closet, and are able to sleep somewhat safer. Unless you deal on the dark side of the Internet. You know, scary stuff that's actually scary.

Well, those are my 5 rewards of being 13. But, what are yours? If you have any, please put them in the comments section below, and if you have any fond (appropriate) memories of turning 13, add them too! This is CrossbowPig, signing out!!! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment